Sunday, January 25, 2015

My Kids


Wednesday night I was sitting at the wrestling meet with two of my coworkers. The meet had gotten over earlier than expected and they both made comments about getting home to see their kids before they have to go to bed. I know I've made comments about this before, but in that moment I realized that my students are my kids and HP has become my Topeka Family.

Living in Topeka in an apartment by myself can sometimes get lonely. This is the first time that I've lived in a city and didn't have some sort of family in the same city with me. Whether it be my parents, grandparents, brothers, or cousins. I've always been blessed to be able to see family members when I need a reminder of home. Since I don't have anyone here, it's been such a blessing to have such a great work family.

Being here at HP, not all of the students have parent support at their sporting events. So if their parents can't come support, I figure I better be that extra support system for them. After all, they feel like my kids. And if they were my kids, you know I would be at every extra curricular activity they have.

Last weekend, I surprised some of my kids at their wrestling meet when I was in the Kansas City area. It was so exciting to be able to support my students outside of the classroom; to be able to see them in their environments. I also was able to stop into one of my student's work place on the way home and it surprised him as well. This week has been the same in getting to go to a different sporting event every night. I went and watched our bowlers Tuesday and got to see the whole wrestling team wrestle Wednesday.  I even was able to work the Topeka Inventational Tournament  as a team host these last few days.

At the bowling meet I was able to surprise some other students as well. It's just such an overwhelmingly great feeling when the students see me and excitedly come over and give me a hug. One girl even did and her parents saw her react before they saw me and it caught them off guard. At first they weren't sure why she reacted. It definitely  warms my heart.

Not only am I lucky enough to see these kids at their sporting events, but I also get to see some of them at other extracurriculars. I've gotten to watch some of them in the school play and even helped out at the debate tournament. I also have some band and orchestra kids.

I think one of my other favorite feelings is making those connections with students who I don't even have in class. Just from saying "Hi" to them as they pass by my door or offering up my room for after school study hall during football season. Those kids who eagerly ask what classes I teach and if they can be in one next year. That's what makes me love my job.

These kids don't even realize it, but they are the ones who are changing my life. They make me love my job even more. Especially on those days I just am too exhausted to want to do anything; it's my kids that push me to be a better teacher and role model for them.

Oh, and of course that one student who comes to school and we realize we're both wearing Polo sweaters. So of course we had to take a picture.



Until next time,
The Chronicles of Kirsten Continues

No comments:

Post a Comment